Friday 13 August 2010

The Typo Goblin Strikes Back...

Well, I tried to write again last night...

Recently, as I have thought, my writing has not been on it's usual mediocre form, and last night just took the biscuit. A friend of mine, Miss HB Sauce, has been writing a short story this week, and has told me that she's going to expand the universe of the short story with more short stories about the same place. And this got me thinking.

'Perhaps if I write some short stories and they'll will get me back into writing my main stories, and so on...'

This did not go well.

I wrote just over a thousand words, and I worried that (because in my head it was starting to sound like a Terminator Movie - Hi Tag!) I was writing like a certain franchise that I didn't want it to sound like at all.

I am assured, by Miss HB Sauce (who I was in constant conversation with - and she already knew the story I was trying to get back into writing), that it was quite bad - as my suspicions had be aroused. Yes, it wasn't good, and I knew it. Holes at every corner, a mundane main character, and just no real story. Poor, poor story writing. Perhaps I'll stick to Poetry? Who knows...

On a sort of similar literary note I found this wonderful little poem:

The Typo Goblin

I am the Typo Goblin, my heart is made of flint,
My role in life is simply this: to keep you out of print.
I sneak into your manuscript and do my fiendish work,
Adding errors guaranteed to make you look a berk.
And then I cast the ‘Careless’ spell: you say, ‘Ah, what the heck!’
And pop your script into the post without that final check.
At length some hapless editor receives your golden wit,
And after reading fifty words he writes it off as ... unpublishable.

- Michael Shenton

Cool or what?

Anywho, shooting stars litter the skies and over the past few nights, upon glancing up, I have seen about twenty. How awesome is that?! So many wishes. Back to writing I go...

But that's me, until next time bloggers...

P.S. I need more blogs to read people - you know who you are!
P.S.S. Something to start you off: Who is the ONE Person in History you would like to meet?

2 comments:

  1. :) The poem is nice.

    And like I always say.. the only way to get better at writing is to actually keep writing even if it's not as awesome as you'd want it to be. It will happen. Get constructive feedback and critique. I'll stop preaching now. :P

    wrt P.S.S. I would love to meet Charles Bukowski. I seriously think that if I get even half his cynicism, my dark stories could be better...erm.. I mean darker..

    ReplyDelete